When we’re not surveilling cheating husbands at a bar, finding the elusive owner of a phone number or serving a document, we’re just regular people. That means in our downtime, we enjoy relaxing on the couch at home and watching movies.
In particular, there’s nothing we love more than a good thriller or detective movie. While they may not represent the real world of private investigators, they do give us some much-needed entertainment after a gruelling day of being on the case.
Here’s our top 5 Hollywood private investigator movies, in no particular order:
- The Long Kiss Goodnight: A suburban housewife with a sweet-as-pie demeanour develops amnesia in a fateful accident and forgets that she’s a deadly assassin? Count us in. Samantha (played by Geena Davis) hires private detective Mitch (played by Samuel L. Jackson) to probe into her past, only to discover she’s a well-trained government assassin whose former handlers are after her. This is peak ‘90s thriller.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit? A classic for all the right reasons, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? takes us right back to our childhood. As absurd as it sounds, private investigator Eddie Valiant is hired to exonerate a cartoon character from a homicide case that places the ‘toon as the perpetrator. Yes, you read that right. Cartoons and humans co-exist in this movie. If you haven’t seen it, just trust us on this one: it’s a must-see. And who can ever forget that terrifying scene with Judge Doom?
- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: A thief – masquerading as an actor – gets involved in a murder investigation when he assists a private detective. He also drags a struggling actress into the investigation. Are you still following? Good. Just do yourself a favour and see this fast-paced, dark comedy/murder mystery starring Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.
- Sherlock Holmes: Another movie starring Robert Downey Jr. – only this time he plays the literary character Sherlock Holmes. While not quite as good as the short stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the 2009 movie reminds us why being a private investigator was every little boy’s dream, growing up.
- Any James Bond film: This list just wouldn’t be complete without referencing Bond, James Bond. We don’t think 007 really needs any introduction: he’s the secret agent that every woman wants to be with and every man wants to be. Always one step ahead with the latest gadgets & guns, driving around foreign cities in fast cars, and suited up in his crisp tux, Bond lived the life that many of us can only dream about. Chasing villains all in a day’s work, really.
Do you need a private investigator in Melbourne?
We can help with our sophisticated techniques and dedicated research staff. We specialise in private investigations within the Melbourne region, but also extend our services all across the entire Victorian area. We guarantee confidentiality, and your privacy is assured. Most importantly, payment for our service is discreet – so your partner will never know that you have hired a private eye.
Get the peace of mind you deserve. Simply fill out our form online to get started. Or, you can arrange a confidential discussion about your specific requirements by calling us on 1300 416 730.